While the causes of acne are fairly basic, the ways in which acne can ultimately manifest vary greatly. There are five major types of acne:
- Whiteheads: small blemishes that are white in the center due to the collection of sebum and dead skin cells.
- Blackheads: tiny black dots that appear when bacteria buildup becomes oxidized by exposure to air.
- Papules: considered the next “phase” of a whitehead, a papule is typically swollen and inflamed but without any pus.
- Pustules: exhibit the same symptoms as papules but also contain white or yellow pus.
- Severe acne: nodules, cysts, and acne conglobate are all terms for acne that persists for several months, frequently requiring a trained skin care specialist to effectively treat.
Dr. Jodie Reinertson uses a comprehensive approach to acne treatment at CosMedic Skincare. With options like Isolaz Therapy with Deep Pore Purification, our signature MicroPeel, and IPL (also known as Photofacial/Fotofacial), our patients can benefit from a custom-tailored treatment plan that helps reduce acne while improving both the health and appearance of their skin.
To learn more about our range of acne treatment options, please contact our office today.